Hi everyone, evaluating Prefect and hoping to get your advice on getting to a working cloud POC as fast as possible. Our situation:
• Mostly Windows/Azure shop. Preference to run on Windows, all else equal, but can work with Linux VMs if necessary.
• We have nothing in our ecosystem yet running on VMs (serverless only) and no Docker/Kubernetes setup.
How would you suggest we set up a POC that deploys and runs flows on Azure and connects to Prefect Cloud:
• POC should include demo for publishing and running flows to Azure from local dev machines
• Primary goal is to set up as fast as possible:
• Set up on a bare VM? Install and run under Docker? Try Azure AKS? (no experience at present with Kubernetes/AKS, but can be good case to acquire such experience in-house)
Thanks much in advance!
Notably, the prefect recipe I linked, you can use as is for the terraform aspect just to deploy your infrastructure.
The prefect steps themselves (steps 6 and on in the readme) I need to go back over and confirm they are still accurate, but our documentation should be sufficient to apply the manifest from there
At a high level it would involve:
Deploying your cluster
Configuring your storage; if using 2.0, unfortunately we don’t have Azure blocks available just yet but are in progress.
Starting your agent - this can be run either locally, or in-cluster. Local is simple to setup; in-cluster I have a document that is a work in progress , but there is an example manifest I shared yesterday to get it running.
Creating your deployment
Running your deployment
07/30/2022, 3:17 AM
@Christopher Boyd Sounds great, will review. In the meantime, to cover all possible avenues - what about deploying an image on a single Windows Server 2019 VM with Docker? Have people tried this, any writeups?